Wednesday, December 30, 2020

What are you doing New Year's Eve?






 


Making plans to greet the new decade at a secret rendezvous.  Preparing all sorts of party snacks in advance, some my own in-demand specialties.

Selecting my own mix of sentimental favorite tunes to play as well as limbering up my fingers in case there is any call for a live performance at the keyboard.

Preparing drinks and mixers, too, although I shall imbibe discreetly lest I end up dancing on a table then projectile-barfing chunks.  Downer, man!

Wanna come?  Sure, you're invited!  The only thing you need to bring is good humor.  Masks are optional, as is clothing.  Haha!  Kidding about one of those.  Guess which.

On a serious note, 2020 will not be a year I will be sad to see go. Of course, there is all the at-large public crap that I wish hadn't happened but which I couldn't do anything about, but far beyond those things were the events of my own life and the lives of those dear to me -- the things that are really important.

A full moon tonight rising over an icy horizon into clear, cold skies.  How many full moons does a person see in a lifetime? Eight-hundred and forty or so for the biblical three score and ten.  That's not a lot.  And you notice a lot fewer than that.  So take a look at this one, the last of the year, the last of the decade.  Really look at it.  It's one less that you will ever see no matter how long you may live.

Maybe all our passion about politics and society, culture and morality is merely to distract us from the passage of time, our individual time, and how each year we have less of it until it finally runs out.  The world careens on.  But we do not.

Remember that this New Year's Eve and pay especial attention to those you love and care about.  Their time is running out, too -- perhaps faster than you know.  Be of good cheer and make the evening happily memorable.