Tuesday, March 5, 2024

An idling mind

 

It hasn't been a bad winter so far, all things considered.  We did have some very, very cold days a while back, minus 40 degrees one morning, which is a mite chilly. We had snow flurries today, the high around 30 or so I think and there's long been snow on the ground, six or eight inches or thereabouts.  Last year I would have thought we were having a terrible winter, but this year, eh, just the dreary season.  Or for me it is, not being able to do much, even go outside for very long or very far.  No sidewalks here. When I do go for a mosey, I take along a stout oak walking stick. I have to be careful not to slip and fall.  But whereas last year I was very agitated in my forced immobility, this year, other than being prone to mopiness, I am okay to sit by the fireplace, look out the window at winter and read or knit.  Lord, I'm turning into my mother -- not that there's anything wrong with that!

I wrote a while ago about a relative back around 1900 or so getting in a gun fight with horse thieves while she was pregnant and getting shot before doing for the bad guys.  I was thinking about that today and wondering if I could do it and the answer was no way, are you out of your mind?  Forget it.  They could have the stupid horses.  No question people back in those days were made of the very sternest stuff. Genuine pioneer stock was too tough to kill they used to say. They had to be to create a civilization out of a primeval wilderness.  I'm proud of my pioneer ancestors although nowadays I'm supposed to be ashamed of them.  Fie, I say.  Fie!

Dad is so much better now that he and el jefe went snowmobiling cross-country, staying a couple of nights at one of the remoter line shacks while they snow-shoed around the neighborhood.  Have you ever tried to walk with snowshoes? -- not just for a few yards but for miles?  Include me out on that.

In 1982, my father visited the Triumph factory in Meriden to pick up a new Bonneville he had ordered, an Imperial Edition made to commemorate the wedding of Prince Charles and Lady Dianna Spencer.  For some reason, I remembered it as a special edition commemorating the Pearl Anniversary of Elizabeth becoming queen, but when I asked my dad about it, he set me straight. Now that I think about it, it could also have been the Oak anniversary edition, too, as Triumph had been making motorcycles since 1902.
Anyway, while there, he was given a tour of the factory and he spotted some sort of machine tool, I forget what it was, that had been clearly broken badly and then welded back together. He asked what happened to it, and his guide casually explained that it had been damaged when the Germans bombed Coventry in 1940. At that time, Triumph had a factory on Priory Street where it had been building motorcycles since 1907. The plant was destroyed by the Luftwaffe.
But the Triumph workers dragged the machine tools out of the ruins, repaired those that had been damaged and installed them in the relocated plant some miles away in Meriden.
Whenever the subject of the value of the strategic bombing campaigns during World War II has come up, my father always mentions this little story to illustrate how futile much of the effort was. It’s really hard to damage machine tools, process machinery and the like, by bombing so thoroughly that they can’t be put back in working order.
In any case, there was that piece of equipment still doing its job more than four decades after the Blitz had ended.
While my father was at the factory, he met Lord Hesketh, who was contemplating buying or investing in Triumph. He invited my father to visit his estate at Easton Neston to do some pheasant hunting. There he met his friend, Bubbles, and some race car driver (the Lord financed a Formula racing team) who gave him a jacket with the racing team patch on it, the slogan of which was, “Sex: Breakfast of Champions.”
Lord Hesketh was also into creating his own motorcycle (I assume he wanted Triumph to manufacture it), the Hesketh 1000, an example of which he gave or maybe sold at cost, I don’t know, to my father, to evaluate. It was supposed to be the modern-day reincarnation of the fabled Vincent Black Shadow with state-of-the-art engineering.
We still have both motorcycles. The Bonneville runs just fine, but the Hesketh long ago lunched its transmission.
My mother took one look at the Hesketh jacket my father proudly wore home from his trip to the Sceptered Isle and informed him that he could keep the motorbikes but that jacket had to go.

Erté ideal woman

Gibson girl

The image of the ideal women of 1947 depicted in the diagram to the left persists today.  It was firmly established in the public mind by the artist George Petty and his Petty girl, which began appearing in the 1930s, published by various men's magazines and adorning calendars advertising the Ridgid tool company (there's a joke lurking in that name and association but I won't stretch for it).  Prior to the Petty girl, the ideal female shape was the 1920s boyish flapper, depicted famously in the art deco women of the artist Erté, who once remarked that the perfect female breast fitted inside a coupe cocktail glass.  And before that was the narrow-waisted, buxom Gibson girl, evolved from the bustled beauty of the previous generation.  It seems to me part of and evidence for the ossification of popular culture that the female shape deemed most ideal, which once changed from generation to generation, has now remained unaltered for a good 90 years.

 

O
f course, males still think association with females will give them cooties. 

"I went out to buy an envelope.
"'Oh,' my wife says,  'Well, you're not a poor man, you know, why don't you go online and buy a hundred envelopes and put them in the closet?'
"I pretend not to hear her and go out to get an envelope because I'm going to have a hell of a good time in the process of buying one envelope. I meet a lot of people, and see some great looking babes. And a fire engine goes by and I give them the thumbs up. And I ask a woman what kind of dog that is. And, and I don't know.
"The moral of the story is we're here on Earth to fart around.
"And, of course, the computers will do us out of that. And, what the computer people don't realize, or they don't care, is we're dancing animals. You know, we love to move around. And, we're not supposed to dance at all anymore."
~ Kurt Vonnegut