Thursday, April 9, 2020

Walking


I like walking more than just about anything. I'll walk anywhere, but I prefer walking in forest and field, hill and dale, seaside and riverside, and, of course, the mountains.
I can walk for hours and never notice the time passing or feel tired, and certainly never bored.
Sometimes people ask me what I think about when I'm walking.  All I can say is everything and nothing.  It depends.  If I have some problem or some issue to work out or resolve, my mind may dwell on that.  Or I may observe where I am passing through and what it is like.  Other times, I think of nothing at all, my mind as empty as a cloud drifting along the sky.
I prefer to walk alone, though I enjoy company when it's available.  I do prefer a silent companion, one who speaks rarely, unless there is something to talk about.  But mostly I prefer silence.
A dog makes the very best companion to walk with, because not only is a dog silent, but he notices things that you would not.  Of course, you need to have a well-trained dog who obeys you and does not rush off chasing wildlife or livestock.
I don't care to meet other people when I walk, and if I do I pass with a "good-day" and little more.  I'm not walking to interact with people but to leave the world of people behind for a while.

 How did one begin an adventure? Almost any road you took would lead there, if only you went on far enough.” 
~ Barbara Newhall Follett

“The walking of which I speak has nothing in it akin to taking exercise, as it is called, … but it is itself the enterprise and adventure of the day.” 
~ Henry David Thoreau