Monday, August 17, 2020

Mistake!


So I skipped 7th grade.  Looking back, although the intent by those who recommended my doing so was good, that was a mistake.  I was too young when I entered high school, my brain not sufficiently developed, nor my social skills and understanding of the world. 
I also lost my age cohort of friends with whom I  could have faced the new experience together.  That may have been the worst part of it.
I remember on Orientation Day, when we freshman were introduced to the school, met the faculty and staff, and shown the excellent facilities -- library, science labs, study halls, student lounge, gymnasium, outdoor amenities, swimming pool, cafeteria, school museum; oh, it was a great school, no doubt -- I was quite overwhelmed. 
At a pause to let stragglers catch up, our guide, one of the student counselors, just to pass the time, I'm sure, happened to ask me how I found the library.  Those were his exact words:  "How do you find the library?"  Maybe he said "did" but I heard "do."  So I told him.  That is, I gave him directions: walk back down the hall behind us, take the stairs to the left, turn right and it's at the very end.  I was baffled why he would ask me this since we had just been there, but thought it must be some kind of check to see if I had been paying attention or something.
But the look on that man's face.  The emotions that raced across it.  He thought I was being a smart ass.  No!  No!  I, a 12-year-old, just took the words at face value and answered him as accurately as I could.  But I had made an enemy and I had no idea that I had, any more than I had any idea what the ripple of laughter that followed my response meant.
There were a lot of episodes like that to come.  Many could have been avoided if I had just not skipped a grade and been a year more mature when I entered high school.
Oh -- what's the significance of the image I illustrate this post with?  None.  Other than sometimes I wish I could walk away from parts of my life and forget all about them.