Saturday, June 10, 2023

The Growler

 I mentioned the USS Growler (SS-215) in an earlier post, remarking that I had a relative who served aboard her and perished when she was sunk by the Japanese.  I didn't know anything about the Growler or my relative.  I found out he was a Fireman First Class from Wolf Point, Montana, on the Ft. Peck Indian Reservation, although his Navy records say Vida. I also read about the Growler's war patrols and found this US Navy video about her. It was made in 1957 and consists of archival footage and recreated scenes. All the scenes at sea were obviously filmed at Lahaina Roads off Maui in the Hawaiian Islands. Good old Ward Bond, one of my favorite actors from the glory days of Hollywood, appears in it.

The opening scenes of the short film --it's about 20 minutes -- almost brought a tear to my eye because the way Bond interacted with his family was very much the way my dad interacted with us kids.  Navy brats...ah....  You had to be one to understand.  All the good-byes, the waving at dad's ship as it sails out of harbor, the scent of sea water, all the ships and activity, the smell of bunker fuel, diesel...whatever it was, looking so hard to try to see him one last time, wondering when -- or if -- you'll see him again.

Anyway, do take a look at the film, if you are interested.