Monday, June 29, 2020

Strike a pose!



 

When I was an undergraduate, I posed as a figure model for art classes, so I can empathize with this comic strip.  Funny thing is, if a 16-year-old boy had gone into a strip club he would have been thrown out, and the owner might have risked being arrested.  But an art class?  No problem!

Most of the models made it clear as they posed that they were indifferent about or bored by what they were doing, and ignored the...um, I almost said "audience," lol, but "aspiring artists" is the better term.  But I didn't.  I looked them over, gave a few a faint smile (mustn't break the pose!) and otherwise engaged with them in subtle ways.  When the class was over, other models would dash off as if relieved to be done with the odious task, but I would linger a bit and look over the sketches and paintings, express interest and chat a bit.  It was fun.