Monday, October 31, 2022

Yeah

Don't ever forget this!
 

I was a Susie (the girl in the comic strip) when I was in school.  I usually had read all my text books by the end of the first week and what I found interesting in them I researched further, going to the library and checking out other books on the topics.  I never studied and never took notes.  But I listened intently to what the teacher said and often asked questions -- not to be a show-off or apple-polisher, but to clarify a point.  I can only recall one bad teacher, a Spanish teacher in high school.  He mostly talked about current events rather than teaching us Spanish.  I enjoyed his class very much, but he got fired.  His replacement was excellent at teaching us Spanish, but she took a fighting bull sculpture I had made and brought to class to show, as part of a demonstration that we could explain a subject in Spanish, and she never gave it back.  Geez.  If she had asked for it, I would have given it to her.  But she just took it.  So I made another, better one.  It long ago disappeared in some move, and now I no longer have the knack for sculpting.  Sometimes I think I should get back into it, but I never have.

If you are not familiar with Charles Portis' novels, do yourself a favor and read them.  He's best known for writing True Grit, but everything he wrote is worth your time.

Overheard: "The only people who support abortion have already been born."

Who knew "fear"was an acronym for "Forget Everything And Run"?

 Overheard: "If you sit him in the corner & repeatedly say “But we’ve always done it this way” he will curl up in a ball & sob uncontrollably"

 

 "How long, how long must I regret?
I never found my people yet;
I go about, but cannot find
The blood-relations of the mind."
~ Ruth Pitter

 Overheard: " I wouldn't piss on this world if it was on fire."

 “All the war-propaganda, all the screaming and lies and hatred, comes invariably from people who are not fighting.” 
― George Orwell

 "When you have a concentration of power in a few hands, inevitably men with the mentality of gangsters get control.”
~ Lord Acton

 "A year from now you will wish you had started today."
~ Karen Lamb

 American immigration policy in 50 seconds:


“I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility, and murder.”
~ Werner Herzog

 "The oppressed don't fight for freedom. They fight for pride and power — power to oppress others. They want to retaliate."
~ Eric Hoffer

 «Les hommes, lorsqu'ils s'adressent aux dieux, ne savent pas que c’est pour leur malheur, le plus souvent, que les dieux les exaucent.»
~ André Gide