Wednesday, December 28, 2022

The blahs

 Having to be pretty immobile while my ribs knit, I'm getting restless.  I even have to sleep sitting up as it is too painful and adversely affects my breathing to lie down.  I have to use an incentive spirometer to ensure I take deep breaths to avoid fluid accumulation in my lungs and avoid infection.  The deep breathing hurts, but better that than pneumonia.

I can't get around much, although I'm supposed to do some moderate exercise, because of the assorted soft-tissue injuries and severe bruising.  I really did a number on my knee somehow, but nothing requiring surgery, just a brace and time.  Black-and-blue is a real thing, although some bruises are turning a sickly yellow, which is a good sign.  Anyway, as my body vegetates, my mind riots and I'm agitated and irritable.  This video is just like a peek inside my head these days:

Well, all this will pass soon enough and by and by be forgotten.  I've gone through worse.  Funny thing:  I was prescribed oxycodone and hydrocodone for pain, but both of these slow breathing, which is exactly what I don't want to keep my lungs healthy.  I asked my mom about this and she said if I can stand the pain, don't use them, but if I need to, she would monitor me (she's an MD and was a nurse for years before, though now retired).  She also advised against using ibuprofen but suggested paracetamol instead.   

In my forced immobility I do a lot of thinking, which is not good for me because I become gloomy and morose.  So I have to fight that.  Normally, I do that by dancing.  You can't be down in the dumps when you are busting a move.  I avoid playing the piano when I am melancholy because in that mood I tend to play things like Elgar's Sospiri or Ravel's Pavane pour une infante défunte  which doesn't boost my mood, as you may imagine.  I try to read but my mind wanders and my eyes lose focus and after a few minutes I give it up.

I haven't told el jefe about recent events or even skyped or otherwise been in contact with him, letting him believe our internet is down because of all the storms.  It actually has been down, once for 13 hours and once for eight hours and a couple of times for about an hour. Why not tell him?  I don't want him to worry about me -- he's got lots of other things to worry about.

Anyway, I look forward to the time when I can jump up and dance to a happy tune, working up a sweat and blasting endorphins into my brain.  Wanna join me?