Somebody said the Eighties were the best era for music. Of course, he was referring to pop music. Nobody considers any other type anymore. And, of course, he was of the generation that came of age during the 1980s so, you know....
But anyway, he reminded me of this guy I used know, same age Millennial as me, who was crazy about Eighties music and introduced it to me, explaining why it was good in a very technical, musically knowledgeable way, and we often had long discussions delving into just what about the era encouraged its creation. He was a session musician and had a couple of Roland Juno synthesizers, a DX-7 and a Minimoog so we could rip ditties out like we were Ah-Ha, Wham! or Joe Jackson. But the synths were not the real reason so many Eighties songs were exceptional. There was just something else in the air, so to speak, that made the music sparkle. Kind of like, I guess, how everything came together for the Brits in the mid-to-late 1960s, or for the surfer dudes and car guys of southern California in the early-to-mid 1960s.
*****
Oh, you've noticed that I use a lot of ellipses, have you? I guess that could be because my thoughts kind of peter out and my mind wanders off. But it's really because I know you know what I am going to say from that point anyway, so I don't bother to waste your time by actually saying it.
