Monday, August 17, 2026

500 Miles

 “If you read fairy tales, you will observe that one idea runs from one end of them to the other--the idea that peace and happiness can only exist on some condition. This idea, which is the core of ethics, is the core of the nursery-tales.”
― G.K. Chesterton  

********

 A few years ago, I hiked in to an old hippy compound in far northern California. Up an old logging road becoming lost to second-growth Coast Redwood and Douglas Fir to a half-dozen long-abandoned geodesic dome houses. Home-made furniture rotted inside, where in one I found a disintegrating copy of The Whole Earth Catalog, Steal This Book, paperback editions of The Limits of Growth, Thinking About the Unthinkable and Report from Iron Mountain. The back to the land movement of the love and peace era had died long ago, leaving only echoes of Buckminster Fuller, Ludditism, idealism and anti-...well, anti pretty much everything.

The man I was with was dismissive of it all. He’d bought the land and was going to build his own homestead for his trad family (once he found a trad wife) far from the madding crowd. He planned to construct his own log cabin from trees he’d cut down with his axe. Dig a well, plant a garden, have a cow and a goat, some chickens and ducks, a good dog, and let the rest of the world go by

When I suggested he was the modern-day version of a hippy, he rejected the idea.  He was nothing like them. I asked if he played the guitar, banjo or the flute. He said he played the guitar and the pan flute and was planning to get a banjo. That night around the campfire as an owl couple hooted back and forth and the moon rose through the trees and stars he sang "500 Miles" and I thought about becoming a trad wife.

Some days I wish I had. 

 

********

  “There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke ― though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns ― and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    ― Herman Melville