Sigh. I guess my plans to become a mystic on a mountain top shall come to naught.
Bummer, man.
Well, at least this explains why I can't become hypnotized -- I volunteered for that during a college class and it totally didn't work. I thought about faking it for the lulz but I didn't.
(I have pretended to be hypnotized in other circumstances so I could do things I otherwise wouldn't do -- I had no control over what I did! I was hypnotized! And a swell time was had by all. Heh.)It also explains why sciencey stuff is my thing while touchy-feely, woo-woo stuff is not. I guess it also explains why I become bored in church or with philosophical blathering, psychoanalysis, dream interpretation.... I tend to view it all as phony baloney, plastic banana, good-time rock and roll. I try not to. I really do. I do want to believe. And once in a while I manage it. But there is always this little voice at the back of my mind giving the raspberry to it all.
If y'all want to take this yhar test, here she be.
Speaking of accents -- we were weren't we? No? Well, Ima segue anyhoo -- I was at a roadside rest stop sitting at a picnic table waiting for my mom while she visited the restroom and a couple was walking nearby. The woman was looking at the sky and suddenly she stopped and stared at something. Then she pointed and said to her husband (I assume), "Is that a flyink sawsuh?"
He looked where she pointed, shading his eyes with his hand. "Well, it's certainly something," he said. "I don't think I've ever seen anything like it before."
I looked where they were looking and saw far up in the sky a buzzard (okay, a vulture) lazily circling, riding a thermal. A pretty common sight in these parts. I assumed the couple were tourists from back east somewhere, New York or thereabouts, city people unfamiliar with nature. I thought about telling them what they were watching was a bird, or, as I suppose the woman would have said, a boid, but I didn't. Let them believe they were seeing something outré they could tell their friends about.I guess that anecdote expresses my practical mindset. If I see something unfamiliar in the sky, I don't automatically leap to the conclusion that it is an alien spacecraft from another planet piloted by little green men out to kidnap nubile babes and steal their orgone energy. I just go, "Huh, wonder what that is."
See? I'm so dull.



